Saturday, December 18, 2010

Post # 1,OMS Mission trip to Cap Hatian, Haiti, Dec.2-12,2010.


Bye-Bye Miami, USA...

Eleven of us from or related to Faith Community Church in O'Neill, Nebraska traveled to Haiti on a one week exposure to the OMS ministry at Cap Haitian, Haiti.

We did it through Men For Missions International, the Layman's voice of OMS.


We left Miami Int. in an MV 80 jet bound for Port -au-Prince because our direct flight to Cap Haitian had been postponed a day.  We didn't want to be late a day and miss Sunday worship with a National Church.  An executive decision by Neil, our Team Leader.  The right choice I might add.  The service was awesome.

From Port-au-Prince we caught this flight to Cap Haitien.  While we were waiting we were like 11 June bugs being eaten by 500 ducks as people were pulling on us from all directions wanting to carry our bags for pay or just for a hand out.  We hovered over our carry-on like penguins over an egg!

We are exiting the plane here but our luggage was on the next plane.  It wasn't due for 2 hours.  When it did arrive, 3 checked bags were still missing one of which was Dr. Allison's with all his medical supplies for the Cholera Clinic.  Those 3 bags did
show up the next day but someone had to drive 45 minutes one way to get them.  We had 2 Dr.s and 2 Nurses on our team.  Everybody worked in the Cholera Clinic but me.  I stuck with electrical, concrete and carpentry projects. 


The  above picture is of the house 7 of us stayed in.  It is called the Holiday House.  I was on a 'holiday' but the other 10 weren't.  They worked round the clock shifts at the clinic .  This van held 14 and went anywhere.  The photo with tables is our dining room in the Holiday House.  We had breakfast at 7, dinner at noon and supper at 6pm.  Three Haitian ladies cooked and we all could have gained weight.  We had fresh squeezed orange juice and lemonade, fresh bananas and pineapple and avocado the size of cantaloupe.  Haiti, when first discovered, was called "The Pearl of the Caribbean",  "The Emerald Isle"!  It never freezes there and bananas grew behind our house and oranges in front. 

Thank you for bearing with me, I'll try to do better next time, as this is my very first post. Stop back by for more photos and stories about my interesting trip to Haiti.   P.S.  Notice we are wearing the same thing as at the plane.  We were worn to a frazzle but very glad to be there.  I felt like I had been pulled through a knot-hole.  I left home Thursday at 2 pm and finally sat down for supper in Cape Haitian Sat. night at 6pm...,whew.  Oh yes, I forgot to put my pocket knife in my checked baggage when I went through TSA in Omaha and had to redneck it and hide it in a bush out front till I got back.  It was still there but 0 degrees Fahrenheit and covered in snow!  Ha!


7 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing about your trip. I look forward to more photos and stories, especially the anectdotes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh what a blessing it is to see and read about people reaching out and doing God's work.
    Bless YOu!!!!

    I look forward to reading and seeing your mission trip.
    Our Sunday school teacher is in Kenya ...Africa as we speak.....doing mission work.
    What a blessing it is for me to know you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Floyd! Came over from Joy's blog to hear about your trip. That's quite a small plane you all were on! I would have loved to have seen the avocado - I love avocado. Looking forward to learning more about your trip.
    Nancy in MN

    ReplyDelete
  5. sounds like an interesting trip.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know how much time bloging can take so it's good of you to take the time to do this. For others and for yourself. I've read both and have enjoyed your sharing. Glad you made it there safely and back to you lovely wifey!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Floyd, I thought about you often when you were there. I prayed for your safety and the ways God would work in your life when you were there.
    I look forward to more insight of your trip.

    Tom P

    ReplyDelete

Feel free to comment!